Late access to a phlebologist with a developed varicose vein is the main reason why it is too late to treat the disease with ointment or gel. The doctor must prescribe more effective treatment, among which the most effective is surgery for varicose veins in the legs.
Remember that even surgical removal of the affected vessel does not guarantee a complete cure - the disease can spread to healthy tissues.
Phlebologist - why contact him
Who should I contact if varicose veins are suspected? One should not wait for the spread of the disease, but the first symptoms should be the main reason for going for medical help. Only a phlebologist can confirm or deny the diagnosis and should be contacted first. Only he, if necessary, can turn to another expert.
Because of which symptoms should you visit a phlebologist immediately? There are so few:
- bright asterisks of blood vessels appearing on the lower extremities;
- heaviness in the legs, usually accompanied by severe swelling;
- seizures, most often disturbing at night;
- skin tone changes, becoming darker and more unnatural.
If you don’t rush to the hospital, the disease will develop quickly, the spider veins will start to grow in size and protrude above the skin. The only treatment option in such cases is varicose vein surgery on the legs, which will be prescribed by a phlebologist after a thorough examination.
What types of leg surgery can a phlebologist prescribe
Surgical treatment may be prescribed, depending on the degree of vascular damage. Only a phlebologist can determine which way to eliminate the disease is needed, but this will require several studies.
Types of leg surgery:
- Miniphlebectomy. It is performed with smaller vascular lesions. During the operation, the doctor makes punctures through which the veins are removed. After the procedure, small defects remain on the lower extremities, which are almost invisible.
- Phlebectomy. The most common, but also the most traumatic for the skin, surgery that leaves scars behind. The surgeon makes long incisions through which he removes the vessels affected by the disease. Rehabilitation is short - the patient can go home the next day.
- Short removal. No incisions are made - the surgeon makes several stitches through which only the diseased part of the vessel is removed.
- Sclerotherapy. A special substance is injected into the affected veins, which sticks to the destroyed tissues. The postoperative period does not exist at all - the patient can go home immediately after the procedure.
- Endovenous coagulation. Laser exposure of affected veins is the safest and fastest method of treatment. Efficacy and painlessness are the main benefits of treatment.
Varicose vein surgery on the legs is the most extreme treatment option, although in most cases it proves to be the most effective.
Laser varicose vein surgery
New methods in medicine make it possible to remove the affected vessels of the lower extremities practically painlessly and with minor injuries. Laser varicose vein surgery is an excellent alternative to surgical treatment.
When is endovenous coagulation indicated? There are so few reasons for surgery and not everyone responds to topical treatment or treatment with pills:
- varicose veins, in which large and vital vessels are affected;
- weight and swelling in the lower extremities that do not respond to other treatment;
- trophic changes were found on the skin;
- The lower limbs are covered with ulcers that are not affected by topical medications.
How's the operation going? The surgeon makes an incision in front of the affected vessel and inserts a special probe with a laser tip. The laser glues the affected areas of the vessel, after which the next incision is made and the renewal of the veins continues.
Laser treatment - what are the advantages of the method compared to other operations
Despite the large number of types of operations for varicose veins, the laser effect has gained popularity among patients. The low cost of the procedure plays a significant role here, but more often the victims of the disease are attracted by the absence of pain during the operation and efficiency.
Laser treatment has a number of benefits that also attract patients:
- You can go home and start daily activities immediately after the operation; the
- procedure is performed under local anesthesia;
- no consequences remain on the skin; The
- procedure is performed in just a few hours;
- no need to recover from surgery;
- there is absolutely no risk of bruising or bleeding;
- procedure has practically no contraindications.
Before surgery, you will need to undergo special studies to help you accurately determine that there is no other treatment option. An additional examination will also reveal whether there are any contraindications and whether laser surgery will lead to complications or side effects.
Consequences that may occur after surgery
Even if the operation, despite the chosen method, was successful, there is no guarantee that unpleasant and unexpected consequences will not occur. Most often, especially if surgery is used, scars remain that can remain for a lifetime. To avoid this, you can find out in advance with your doctor which drugs or folk remedies promote healing and prevent scarring.
Another consequence that can occur after surgery is relapse of the disease. Even if the procedure was successful, doctors cannot guarantee that the disease will not affect healthy tissues. Of course, this will not happen immediately, but it is better to carefully monitor the condition of blood vessels and at the first signs of damage immediately consult a doctor.
How to avoid unpleasant consequences, you can ask your doctor immediately after surgery. The phlebologist is obliged not only to tell in detail what measures will serve for prevention, but also to recommend medicines or folk remedies that can be used at home to prevent recurrence.
Rehabilitation - what to do to avoid complications after surgery
Rehabilitation may be needed only after several types of operations, and this period has its own characteristics. The requirements and rules that the patient must follow, the specialist determines separately, on an individual basis.
Most often, medical underwear is prescribed during the rehabilitation period, which helps strengthen the walls of the veins on which the operation was performed. The class and type of compression stockings are prescribed only by a doctor, this can in no case be done independently - a mistake in the selection threatens the recurrence of the disease. The duration of wearing medical underwear is also determined by a phlebologist - a few weeks is enough for some patients, for others, with complications, the jersey will have to be worn for a longer period of time.
Another phase of recovery is taking special medications that restore blood flow in the vessels that have undergone surgery. Medications are prescribed only by a phlebologist, and many medications have many contraindications that need to be studied carefully before taking.
Surgery for varicose veins in the legs is almost the only way to get rid of progressive disease. You shouldn’t be afraid to go to the doctor if the disease develops quickly and relentlessly, affecting healthy tissues - if you don’t stop the disease right away, even surgery can be powerless.