Varicose veins require complex treatment, which includes drug therapy and the use of conservative and surgical methods. One of the ways to alleviate the symptoms of the disease is to massage varicose veins.
Many techniques are available to improve venous health and reduce congestion. However, experts do not recommend its use without consulting a doctor, because the wrong choice of varicose vein massage can worsen the symptoms and lead to serious complications.
Is it possible to do massage for varicose veins?
Violation of venous circulation in the lower extremities is caused by weakness of the veins, but the primary source of the disease is often insufficient muscle tension. Therefore, doctors consider massage for varicose veins to be quite an effective method of prevention and treatment of the disease.
Therapy consisting of 10-12 sessions is needed to noticeably improve the condition of blood vessels and reduce symptoms.
The main task of varicose veins is to reduce the load on the walls of blood vessels and increase their tone. In addition to medications, this can also be done by conservative methods. Even a classic relaxing massage for varicose veins can significantly improve the patient's condition.
With the right technique you can:
- improve the general condition of blood vessels by enlarging the venous wall;
- increase venous blood flow and reduce venous load by increasing muscle tone;
- to reduce congestion in soft tissues by increasing microcirculation;
- relieve swelling by increasing lymph outflow.
According to official standards, only certain types of massage can be done for varicose veins. In addition, when choosing them, it is necessary to focus on the current condition of the patient, the stage of the disease and related complications.
Unfortunately, such factors are often overlooked, and many women do not think about the consequences of the procedure. They do not consult a doctor whether it is possible to do anti-cellulite massage for varicose veins, but rely on the choice of massage parlor employees.
Even a certified specialist cannot assess all the risks in patients with varicose veins. At best, before the first session will seek confirmation from a doctor, at worst, will ignore the presence of varicose veins.
Phlebologists say that foot massage for varicose veins should be done with extreme caution, especially if the disease progresses.
It is believed that improper physical impact on soft tissues and blood vessels can cause complications:
- additional stretching of the veins by creating large “pockets” in which blood clots can form;
- rupture of the vessel wall with subsequent bleeding;
- inflammation of the vascular wall;
- separation of a thrombus that can float along the venous network to the internal organs.
Before deciding whether it is possible to do a massage for varicose veins, the patient must undergo a preliminary examination during which conditions can be found that prevent the use of this method of therapy.
There may be several contraindications for lower extremity massage in varicose veins: from existing skin lesions in the area of the predicted stroke to systemic pathologies that can currently lead to complications during physical action on tissues.
The absolute reasons why massage techniques should not be used for varicose veins of the legs are:
- Acute inflammatory and infectious processes. Direct physical impact in such diseases can cause the spread of infection or thrombosis.
- Thrombophlebitis or a tendency to form blood clots. During a session, a blood clot can break with the subsequent development of an ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, or thromboembolism of internal organs (most commonly the lungs).
- Hypertension grade 3. Increased blood pressure creates additional stress on the veins and increases the volume of venous blood. Excessive stretching of the vessel walls and cracking may occur.
- Atherosclerotic vascular changes. The procedure can lead to the separation of lipid deposits and trigger thrombosis, ischemia and other complications.
It is strictly forbidden to massage the lower extremities with varicose veins in patients suffering from dermatitis and other skin diseases in the area of exposure.
In addition to the unconditional, the method also has relative contraindications. For example, a procedure that uses certain oils or topical preparations is not performed for those who suffer from individual intolerance to the agents.
The list of contraindications may also depend on the type of massage:
- contraindication for LPG massage in varicose veins, vacuum and anti-cellulite techniques is a subcompensated process;
- hydromassage is not used for signs of trophic ulcer formation;
- exposure to impulses using electronic devices in the household is contraindicated in arrhythmias and other heart diseases, epilepsy.
Important!Do not hide from a specialist or doctor who monitors or underlying diseases that may cause a refusal to hold a session. This can turn into dangerous consequences for health and life.
Types of massages for varicose veins
There are several types of foot massage for varicose veins, which have individual characteristics and are therefore used in different stages of the disease and for various concomitant health disorders. There are not many techniques with overcoming the pronounced antivaricose action. Most types of foot massage for varicose veins are borrowed from cosmetology practice. This is a procedure with dressing and exposure to vacuum, lymphatic drainage and modern LPG hardware techniques, hydromassage and others.
The use of cupping massage for varicose veins of the lower extremities is allowed only in phase 1, in which there are no signs of decompensation (visible veins, tissue ischemia). With the development of venous insufficiency, the vacuum created by the banks helps to normalize capillary and venous blood flow, removes edema and helps to normalize tissue nutrition. In the later stages, as in the case of chronic varicose veins, any type of vacuum massage of varicose veins, including canned ones, is contraindicated.
The use of LPG massage for varicose veins - a modern technique of vacuum apparatus - shows excellent results in the 1st and 2nd stage of the disease. In chronic and rapidly progressing varicose veins, this technique is contraindicated.
The use of gentle lymphatic drainage massage techniques for varicose veins of the legs is justified at any stage of the disease, as it is accompanied by stagnant processes.
With the help of hardware or mechanical lymphatic drainage, significant improvement can be achieved in several ways:
- swelling removal;
- improving tissue nutrition and reducing ischemic changes;
- restoration of venous blood flow;
- Eliminates muscle cramps and reduces pain.
As for the popular anti-cellulite foot massage, varicose veins can be used with extreme caution, and only in the absence of superficial varicose veins and pronounced ischemic changes. In the initial stages of the disease, any technique of this type of therapy will be useful, especially if the patient is overweight.
In varicose veins, the anti-cellulite effect should not be accompanied by heating of the tissue. Massage for patients with such a diagnosis is recommended without the use of warming ointments and pre-warming of the limbs.
Hydromassage of the legs with varicose veins is possible at any stage of the disease. It can be performed in salons and specialized clinics, as well as at home. A special whirlpool bath or shower head with several water pressure modes can act as a whirlpool.
In addition to ordinary hot water, healing solutions can be used during the procedure:
- essential oils with firming and toning effect;
- decoctions of chamomile or calendula;
- with severe leg fatigue you can use decoctions with a relaxing effect (mint, rosemary).
You can also use mechanical home foot massagers equipped with pimples, soft needles or a vibrating attachment for varicose veins. Such devices are most effective in the initial stage of varicose veins, and in the case of chronic severe venous damage help to alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
Foot massage for varicose veins at home
Home (independent) anti-varicose massage is an affordable and completely free alternative for those who for various reasons cannot visit a clinic or massage parlor. Self-massage of the legs in varicose veins is the same need as oral medication and the use of external means.
However, in order not to damage the vessels, a number of rules should be followed:
- before performing a varicose vein massage, consult a doctor and follow his recommendations;
- carefully study the literature describing the different techniques and select the type of exposure according to the current condition and degree of varicose veins;
- study the contraindications and soberly assess your condition, not ignoring the signs of change that are an obstacle to the use of massage techniques.
To perform a foot massage at home with varicose veins, you will need not only theoretical knowledge, but also special devices: massager, creams and gels, a special shower head (if hydromassage is selected), as well as compression underwear, which should beput immediately after the session. . . It is advisable to buy them in specialty stores.
Algorithm for performing lower limb massage for varicose veins is standard for any type of procedure:
- Rest and relief of the vascular system of the limbs. It is recommended to lie down 10-30 minutes before the start of the session, place your feet on a pillow or roller so that they are slightly above the level of the heart.
- It is necessary to start the procedure immediately after rest, without getting up or moving. Just sit on a comfortable chair or the edge of the bed so your feet are on the floor.
- Before massaging the feet, an anti-varicose agent should be applied to the skin (any venotonic cream or ointment prescribed by a doctor). It is not necessary to spread it over the entire surface of the feet - it is enough to squeeze the medicine on the palm and warm it slightly.
- It is necessary to start the blow from the lower part of the legs, gradually rising from the feet to the hips.
- Movements should be performed smoothly, without sudden jerks and pressure. The range of motion is wide. When performing hydromassage, circular movements of limited amplitude are performed.
- In places where spiders and bulging veins are visible, the degree of pressure on the tissue should be minimal.
Each leg must be massaged for at least 20 minutes, after which they take the starting position - lying with their legs slightly raised - and stay in it for 10-15 minutes. You can then wear compression clothing.
If a burning sensation occurs during the session, the skin gets a pale shade, swelling and pain increase, it should be stopped.
At least 10 self-massage sessions are required for the appearance of positive dynamics. An interval of 1 or 2 days must be observed between individual treatments. Daily massage of varicose veins can cause complications.