Varicose veins on the legs represent a violation of blood outflow from the tissue due to vascular stenosis and functional failure of the venous valves. Stagnation of blood in vessels leads to trophic changes, formation of blood clots, deep ulcerative defects. The fight against varicose veins in the legs takes place under the supervision of a phlebologist, partly a vascular surgeon (vein specialist).
Several groups of drugs are used in the form of ointments, tablets for oral administration. The use of drugs is strictly in the system, because the chances for successful treatment of venous problems are higher. When only ointments or only tablets are used, the effect is incomplete.
What ointments or gels should be used to treat varicose veins in the legs and restore blood flow?
Main directions of blood disease treatment
The treatment of varicose veins in the legs is complex, aimed at solving several problems:
- Removal of the inflammatory process. The release of special mediators leads to an inflammatory process in the tissues. Hence the visual enlargement of the lower extremities, pain, discomfort and weight.
- Removal of swelling. Venous-lymphatic outflow in the vessels is disturbed, fluid accumulates locally.
- Restoration of proper blood flow in the legs. It is achieved by stimulating complete constriction of blood vessels, by activating the work of venous valves.
- Pain relief syndrome, heaviness of varicose veins of the legs, other types of discomfort.
- Normalization of blood rheological properties. Restoration of the appropriate fluid of the connective tissue. Blood thinning should not be excessive.
The use of ointments and creams allows you to achieve results locally. Local violations are eliminated. However, selectivity does not allow us to fight the root cause of the condition. This treatment is incomplete. Finally, therapy comes down to restoring the functional activity of the lower limbs and preventing complications.
Groups of ointments and gels for varicose veins of the legs
The selection of pharmaceutical types of drugs is based on the above instructions.
Removal of the inflammatory process
It is performed using two groups of drugs: anti-inflammatory non-steroidal origin, as well as steroid drugs of general action.
Primary non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs) are used.
There is no essential difference between them. These are ointments against the inflammatory component of varicose veins of the legs with a narrow spectrum of action. Apply 1-3 times a day, depending on the severity of the process, in light circular motions. More intensive use is unacceptable for treatment purposes, as the active ingredients will begin to be absorbed into the bloodstream through the large vessels.
Also, do not use ointments based on anti-inflammatory substances in the presence of trophic ulcers. Open wounds do not allow the use of ointment against varicose veins of the legs. After epithelialization (healing), you can resort to their use.
The effect of NSAIDs is based on the ability to reduce receptor sensitivity to the effects of inflammatory mediators. Pain, discomfort and heaviness are eliminated.
Steroids are used as a last resort. Only if NSAIDs are ineffective. Inflammation and pain are stopped, and the nutrition of local tissues is improved. It is not used in large quantities, due to the possibility of causing side effects of a generalized nature.
Removal of swelling
Corticosteroid drugs are used to treat edema. Complex agents with anti-inflammatory, venotonic and healing effects are also prescribed.
Restoration of normal blood flow in the legs with varicose veins
Ointments and gels with phlebotonic (venotonic) action are shown. The action of such drugs is based on the ability to stimulate the contraction of vascular walls, the work of venous valves.
Some agents are stronger than others, due to the higher concentration of the active ingredient. It is better to trust the doctor in the matter of choice, he will choose the ointment based on the "neglect" of the condition.
Application course. You should not count on a quick result, it is achieved after a few weeks. The manufacturers themselves emphasize the need for complex use, along with tablets. The duration of one therapeutic course is 25-30 days, then a break and a new course. The frequency is not limited, it is determined by the severity of the general condition. Initiating the procedure requires almost continuous use of ointment against varicose veins of the legs.
Elimination of pain syndrome
Discomfort, pain are removed with the help of local analgesics. These are complex drugs for the simultaneous fight against pain and inflammation. There are few pure analgesics in the form of ointments or creams on the pharmaceutical market.
The scope of application of these ointments, gels, creams is wide and is not limited to varicose veins of the legs. They are applied according to the instructions, up to 3 times a day for 7-12 days, then a break is needed. The mere appointment of an analgesic is impractical. They stop the symptoms and fight the consequences when the cause is not affected.
Normalization of blood rheological properties
Assumes the naming of venotonics as well as blood thinners. However, these agents are used with caution, because it is possible to increase the permeability of blood vessels, the development of their fragility and, as a result, local bleeding, hematomas, worsening of varicose veins of the legs.
Complex ointments for varicose veins of the legs
These drugs act systemically. They solve several problems at once. In the case of early therapy of varicose veins on the legs, this is especially convenient: there is no need to buy dozens of ointments, apply them per hour. The most appropriate medicine will be chosen by a specialist.
Basic principles of therapy
How to properly apply ointments and gels against varicose veins of the legs in order to achieve maximum effect in a short time?
- Do not prescribe treatment to yourself. It is necessary to take into account the mass of shades. In case of varicose veins in the legs, you should contact a phlebologist, surgeon or vascular surgeon.
- Strictly follow your doctor's instructions and advice. When an insufficient dose is prescribed, there will be no therapeutic effect. Excess fat will lead to the penetration of active components into the bloodstream, side effects will occur. There will be no more beneficial effects.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of fats. In the absence of improvement, consult a physician again to revise the course. The approximate period after which it is possible to judge the adequacy of treatment is 7-10 days.
- If side effects occur, including drug intolerance, request a review of the therapeutic course.
- Pain may indicate blood clots. To turn off the procedure, you need to contact a specialist again.
Ointments, gels, creams for varicose veins on the legs are prescribed in combination with medications in the form of tablets. Combinations of the fats themselves are possible. For monotherapy, many names on the market are not appropriate. In order to achieve a quality treatment effect, consultation with a physician is recommended.